Sunday 13 June 2010

Day Three

I am not sure who to vent my fury at first, ITV HD for another monumental cock up or England, and in particular, gormless Robert Green. Who’d have thought the first critical moment of the world cup that I miss would be an England goal?

Astonishingly ITV HD went to a Hyundai advert as England won the throw in that lead to the goal, 40 seconds later we return to see Steven Gerrard running away arms outstretched. It is unforgivable, especially as you consider they have previous for the same crime. When given the choice I have always preferred the Beebs coverage, but now I never going to bother with ITV when there is a choice.

Another TV highlight for me, during the France v Uruguay game, was Alan Hansen talking slowly and loudly, like a true Brit abroad, to “Manu” Adebayour as if he were a baffled local.

Anyway back to the frankly desperate England performance, I am almost lost for words to describe how poorly we played. Unable to keep the ball for any sustained possession, lacking a shield in front of the back four and devoid of ideas going down the left. I suspect Milner was unwell and suffering with the altitude and that’s why he only managed half an hour before being replaced by the predictable Wright-Phillips. Lampard and Gerrrad again failed to gel successfully and Rooney kept dropping off to get the ball. Heskey was, for me, our best outlet. Admittedly he missed a good chance when through on goal but he does make things happen. His strength and through ball made the goal (I am told!). Carragher looked hopeless and picked up a booking, one of too many for my liking, and when he really needed to put in a firm challenge he had to back off for fear of dismissal.

Have I missed any talking points? Oh yeah, that complete numpty Rob Green! Or a “safe pair of hands” as I stupidly said in the preview! I would drop him with immediate effect, he simply cannot play again without the fear of repeating his mistake and that will make for nervy and twitchy performances, get James in where he belongs for Friday.

In yesterdays first game, the South Koreans looked a tidy little side and exposed Greece for the weak team I believe they are. Two simple, yet well taken goals, organised, fit as fleas and with no lack of skill. Greece on the other hand, look cumbersome, devoid of ideas when asked to come from behind and disjointed. Playing Samaras, a poor striker at best, wide on the left seems to me to ill judged. They missed the presence of Moras at the back and the calmness of Liverpool’s Krgiakos.

Argentina on occasions purred, yet failed to take their chances and Nigeria were unlucky not to punish them for this. Messi was at his mercurial best and Tevez worked as hard as ever. It was another Maradona selection issue that I think cost them, Deigo Milito is on fire at present having scored the goals that clinched Serie A, the Coppa Italia and the Champions League, yet he waited 79 minutes for his introduction, replacing Real’s Higuain.

Maradona looked like a vagrant in an ill fitting suit on the side lines, surrounded by yes men who just seem to be there for the ride.

Today we get our first sight of the Germans and my dark horses, Serbia. Watch for the creativity of Krasic and Stankovic in midfield with the potent threat up front from Zenit’s Lazovic and Pantelic of Ajax. Coming from the bench will be new Liverpool recruit Jovanovic. They have the might of Nemanja Vidic and Ivanovic at the back so expect a lot from these boys.

The predictions are getting better, I got two results right yesterday if not the exact scoreline!

Algeria 0 Slovenia 0
Serbia 2 Ghana 1
Germany 2 Australia 0

No comments:

Post a Comment